When I was at JB last weekend, I spotted the below sweet. Sungguh ol' skool hor?!! I remembered that I used to like this sweet as it has a lemon taste and a bit sourish..
Here are 50 lists that I wanted to share with you guys.. Tho' some of you might also received it thru circulation of email but nevertheless, it's worth reading it .. *wink*
1. You grew up watching He-man, Transformers, Silverhawk, Ultraman, Super Friends, Woody WoodPecker, Tom & Jerry, Care Bears, My Little Pony, Smurfs and Mickey Mouse. Not to forget, maybe Ninja turtles too.
[Frina] I lurveee Care Bears, Smurfs & Mickey Mouse at that time! But will watched Ninja Turtles tooas my lil bro loved it.
2. You grew up brushing your teeth with a mug in primary school during recess time. You would squat by a drain with all your classmates beside you, and brush your teeth with a colored mug. The teachers said you must brush each side ten times. Not forgetting the silly red tablet which you know not the purpose for.
[Frina] hahaha..I've always remember this part.. Paling boring brush teeth w/o toothpaste sey! rasa air tawar jer! And that red tablets dah mcm panadol budak2... :P
3. You know what SBC stands for.
[Frina] ya lah..SBC was hot wat that time..
4. You know in school, you could subscribe to get the milk which would come before you go back home. Some days you would get chocolate milk, other days strawberry. The old Magnolia fresh milk came in a triangular packet.
[Frina] I often felt so jeles when my classmates get to order milk so i get my dad to gimme moneh and I ordered stroberi milk! Happy sey bila itu susu datang. Sometimes I get to take from the common room and bring it up to the classroom.. hiak hiak hiak
5. You were there when the first Chinese serial, The Awakening was shown on TV.
[Frina] I remembered I watched that serial!!
6. Everyone in class would tremble in fear when someone with a gauze stuck in the mouth came to your class and called out a name to go visit the school dentist.
[Frina] hahaha..ya boy! Was sooo scared to the core if our name kena called up! Meaning tooth extraction! hahaha
7. You find your friends with pagers and handphone cool in secondary school.
[Frina] I got my first pager when I'm in Sec 5. Was the black, bulky Singapore Telecom Pager.. aiyohhh...
8. SBS buses used to be non-airconditioned. The bus seats were made of wood and the cushion was red. The big red bell gave a loud BEEEP when pressed. There were colorful tickets for CSS buses. The conductor would check tickets using a machine that punched a hole in each ticket. All SBS buses used to be manually operated, with a gigantic gearstick to the left of the driver.
[Frina] Wahh soo old skool sey!! I like that kalerful tix from CSS buses. I remembered that I always waited for CSS bus to go to Mendaki at Temasek Sec juz bcos I want the tix..Padahal ada lagi byk bus bleh naik! akakaka
9. Your favorite actor and actress were Huang Wenyong and Xiang Yun. Next were Li Nanxing and Zoe Tay and the Aiyoyo woman (Chen Liping).
[Frina] I never missed watching Good Morning Sir, Pretty Faces & Samsui Women.. I was hooked with those Chinese Drama...
10. You’ve probably read Young Generation magazine. You know who’s Vinny the Little Vampire and Constable Acai. For some, cikgu will always ask to buy the “Dewan Bahasa” magazine.
[Frina] I din subscribed to any Young Generation but Dewan Bahasa is a must! Cos our Cikgu made a point for us to subcribe so that the articles inside can be used during our Malay lessons.
11. You were there when they first introduced MRT here (Yio Chu Kang to Toa Payoh). You went for the first ride with your parents and you would kneel on the seat to see the scenery.
[Frina] Yeah! Was pretty excited about it!!!!
12. Movie tickets used to cost only $3.50. Tickets were scrawled across using big red pencils. Ushers brought you into the cinemas using big metallic torchlights.
[Frina] First time watched movie was during my Sec 1 days. First movie was The Blue Lagoon acted by Brook Shields.. So klasik!!
13. Gals were fascinated by Strawberry Short Cake and Barbie Dolls. You also collected sticker books of Street Fighter, The Semi-Pro Soccer League (for boys) and care bears (for girls) by Panini, trying to complete the impossible task of filling up each sticker book.
[Frina] I have that sticker books that time! And always buy the sticker to paste inside that book!!!
14. You remember some taxis were green in color. Taxis had gearsticks behind the steering wheel, with a transparent knob and little colorful flowers inside the knobs.
[Frina] yeah! I do remember
15. You longed to buy tidbits called Kaka (20 cents per pack), and Ding Dang (50 cents per box), that had a toy in it and it changes every week. Not forgetting the 15-cent animal crackers and the ringpop, where the lollipop is the diamond on the ring. There were such things like the 20-cent dinosaur eggs, the 10-cent satay, Choki Choki Chocolate Sticks and the all favorite 10-cent “Air batu” that broke into two parts to be shared amongst friends.
[Frina] How can I forget those tidbits and stuff!!! Lurve the air batu seposen!!!
16. You watched TV2 (also known as Channel 10) cartoons because Channel 5 never had enough cartoons for you.
[Frina] Correct!!! But now to get TV2 oso very the hard!! Sien!!
17. All that you know about Cantonese is from the Hong Kong serials you watched on TV2. You probably would remember George Lam as the moustached man whose line was “Are you OK?” in the Guiness Stout Advertisement.
[Frina] Sungguh ol skool nya advertisement sey! That George Lam guy!! haha
18. You grew up reading ladybird books. Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, The Three Investigators, Famous Five and Secret Seven were probably the thickest story books you ever thought you had. Even Sweet Valley High and MaloryTowers. You also love Enid Blyton’s Enchanted Wood, Magic Faraway tree… and the 5-dollar Bookworm book you bought when there was a book fair in school.
[Frina] My old time feveret is bookwork magazine!! Forced my dad to sign up for me as a Bookworm member!! hahaha
19. The only food you bought from McDonalds was the fish fillet burger and French fries as it wasn’t halal back then and your parents didn’t allow you to buy other stuff.
[Frina] ya!!! That's the only food that we bought in those days when McD havent get the Halal Cert..
20. KFC used to be a high class place that let you use metal forks and knives.
[Frina] In Malaysia, they still serve these metal fork and knives so nuthing to look forward to! hehe
21. The most vulgar thing you said was “asshole” and “idiot”… you just couldn’t bring yourself to say the Hokkien relative.
[Frina] I'm soo kwai lah during those days! so seldom I "scold bad words" (those days where got call vulgar words but instead it was called scold bad words mah!!
22. Catching was the “in” thing (a.k.a. Police and Thief) and twist or “chop” was the magic word. For those who always frequented the void decks, there was the “rumah dayak”, Octopus and “Goli Duit”.
[Frina] I lurve to play ye ye (zero pt) lah! Remember the long chain made up of rubber bands??? 1 pt, 2 pts etc..
23. Your English workbook was made of some poor quality paper that was smooth and yellow. And the textbooks were striped in different colors for different levels.
[Frina] Yeah! How can I not forget those workbooks!! And I still remember if we cud not get to buy those workbook in the school bookshop, there were still EPB book stores outside!! ekekeke
24. Some part of your school was ALWAYS haunted, like the toilet or clock tower or a certain block. You walk fast to avoid them.
[Frina] It's always the toilet. Same old stories that were told.. Students hanged themselves lah..blah blah blah..
25. The only computer lessons in school involved funny pixel characters in 16 colors walking about trying to teach you math. You printed with noisy dot matrix printers and used computer paper with two rows of holes at the sides. Mouse? What’s that?
[Frina] Not soo much involved with the computer at that time..
26. Waterbottles, with your favorite cartoon character on it, were slung around your neck and a must everywhere you go.
[Frina] During primary skool yes but not secondary skool pls..Kata dah kakak kakak bebz... wakakka
27. Boys loved to play soccer with small tennis balls in the basketball court.
[Frina] Din take notice at all abt this!
28. Hopscotch, five stones, chapteh and zero point were all the rage with the girls and boys too…
[Frina] I lurve to play batu srembat (five stone ah) ..
29. Science was fun with the balsam and the angsana being the most important plants of our lives. Remember the “Young Scientist” badge you got when you completed the set of tasks in written on the blue booklet for “Young Ecologist”, “Young Botanist”, etc? The first excursion to the Science Centre was the best day of your life.
[Frina] We had to grow balsam plant that time!! So excited when it produced the balsam seeds! Not forgetting the balsam bud will burst! Scary seyy!!
30. Who could forget Ahmad, Bala, Gopal, Sumei, Peihua and John, eternalised in the textbooks. Even Mr. Wolly, Mr. Yakki.
[Frina] Wakakaka...I still remember those names!!!!! Not forgetting Miss Lala!!
31. You did stupid exercises like seal crawl and frog jumps.
[Frina] What else do those PE teachers had in mind those days???
32. Every Children’s Day and National Day you either get pencils or pens printed with “Happy Children’s Day 1983″ or dumb files printed with “Happy National Day 1984″.
[Frina] Not forgetting singing Semoga Bahagia song...
33. In Primary Six you had to play buddy for the younger kids like big sister and brother.
[Frina] No chance of doing that lah!
34. There was an ACES day where you would get this stupid hat and do the Great Singapore Workout.
[Frina] Sungguh tak peberet ini Spore Workout!!
35. The Scouts used to wear shorts, and the NCC uniform was a plain green color without camouflage.
[Frina] I so much wanted to join brownie during pri sch days but no courage lah!! Sec skool joined NPCC but till Sec 2 only den joined MLDDS (Tarian)..
36. The worksheets were made of rough brown paper of poor quality. During art and craft classes, you had to make your own art folio using a vanguard sheet.
[Frina] now no more of that sengkek brown paper.. Used to hate Art cos I'm not good in that!!
37. You went to school in slippers and a raincoat when it rained, and you find a dry spot in the school to sit and wipe yourself dry. Then you wear your dry and warm socks and shoes.
[Frina] My raincoat used to be pink!!! :)
38. During National Day, you would have to do and decorate your own shakers, usually using a cassette tape container, or an empty aluminium can with green beans inside all taped up and decorated with white and red paper. Who can forget the all-time favorite recorder you played during music lessons?
[Frina] ya! I still remember we decorate anything using that small square size color papers..
39. After exams, you brought Game & Watch to school, and played card games like “Snap”, “Donkey” and “Old Maid”. You also played pick-up sticks and Snakes & Ladders and the aeroplane board game. Those erasers with the flags were also a popular game. Either that or you would play those cards comparing aeroplanes, warships, or tanks - who had more firepower or speed or weight, etc.
[Frina] ohh..I missed those card games!! Not forgetting Happy Family!!
40. You remember your uncles, big brothers and father screaming and shouting in front of the TV when the Singapore soccer team (always in blue jerseys) played against the Malaysians.
[Frina] I'm not left out too! I watched every single Malaysia Cup matches!! :)
41. Your friends considered you lucky and rich if your parents gave you $3 or more for pocket money everyday.
[Frina] I've got $2 for pocket moneh!
42. During class gatherings, parents always tag along in case someone gets lost at Orchard Road
[Frina] Seldom had any gatherings at Orchard lah..
43. You freak out when the teacher tells you to line up according to height and hold hands with the corresponding boy or girl.
[Frina] If were to hold hands with boys, I will just let my small finger clinged to the boy's small finger..malu lah beb!!! hiak hiak hiak..
44. Handkerchieves were a must for both genders
[Frina] Only brought handkerchief during my lower primary days! hehe
45. Collecting notebooks, erasers and all kinds of stationery was a popular thing. The bookshop was a favorite place to go to get all those stuff during recess.
[Frina] Very the true!! Till now, the habit of collecting notebooks still inside me!! I can't resist buying cutey cute notebooks! :p
46. Autograph books were loaded with “Best Wishes”, “Forget Me Not”, and little poems like “Birds fly high, hard to catch. Friends like you, hard to forget”.
[Frina] I had a few perfurmed otograp books too!! Then get the teachers to sign too!! lagi2 teacher2 lelaki yg hensem2...wakakaka *gatai nohhhh*
47. Class monitors and prefects loved to say “You talk somemore, I write your name ah!”
[Frina] That one the class monitor yek nya!! Like me, I soo very the baik punya monitress! Ku close one eyes jek! ehehehe
48. You remember songs sung by a huge group of people, like 4U2C, Feminin, Nico (Malay) and the English “We Are The World”. In secondary school, you listened to Bananarama, Jason Donavan, Kylie Minogue, New Kids on the Block, ABBA, and Tommy Page (Remember “A Shoulder to Cry On“?)
[Frina] Ek ehh...Ku tergila gilakan itu 4U2C mcm nak rak!! Sanggup gi JB lah!! And cikgu kita satu tuu bleh sewa van, ikut kan anak dia ngan anak murid dia yg 4 ekor ni pi tgk 4U2C kat JB! isk isk isk!!! Gambar2 mesti bertepek kat files!!
49. Large, colorful schoolbags were carried. And fanciful pencil cases with lots of small tiny drawers, trays, sharpener or thermometer that pop out at the push of a button were the “in” thing.
[Frina] I lurve those types of pencil cases!!!!!
50. You brought every single book to school, even though there was one thing called the timetable, written on the inside cover of your little blue notebook
[Frina] Only in primary skool cos secondary skool days dah pandai pe!! hehee